53% of companies are exposed to supply chain attacks
SINGAPORE, October 19, 2021 / PRNewswire / – Acronis, the global leader in cyber protection, has released its annual Cyber Security Readiness Report, providing a comprehensive overview of the modern cybersecurity landscape and key issues faced by businesses and remote employees in the whole world in the midst of the global pandemic. Acronis research last year found that more than 80% of global companies admitted they were unprepared for the transition to remote working – exposing the top vulnerabilities for which companies should plan and quickly implement solutions.
Based on the results of this year’s independent survey of 3,600 IT managers and remote employees of small and medium-sized businesses in 18 countries around the world, the report finds that 53% of global businesses have a false sense of security. with regard to the supply chain. attacks. Despite globally recognized attacks on trusted software vendors like Kaseya or SolarWinds, more than half of IT managers believe that using “known and trusted software” is sufficient protection, making them an easy target.
Attacks increasing in volume and sophistication
Three in 10 companies say they experience a cyberattack at least once a day, like last year; But this year, only 20% of businesses said they had not been attacked – down from 32% in 2020, which means attacks are increasing in volume.
- The most common types of attacks have reached record levels this year, including phishing attacks, which continue to increase in frequency and are now the leading type of attack at 58%. Malware attacks are also on the rise in 2021: detected by 36.5% of businesses this year – an increase from 22.2% in 2020.
- However, this year has been the year of phishing: the demand for URL filtering solutions has increased tenfold since 2020 – 20% of global companies now recognize the danger phishing poses to their business.
- Despite the growing awareness of multi-factor authentication (MFA), nearly half of IT managers (47%) do not use MFA solutions, exposing their businesses to phishing attacks. According to these results, they either see no value in it, or they consider it too complex to be implemented.
In response, organizations around the world have started to prepare for growing threats, but for every step businesses take, cybercriminals have already taken three.
- The demand for antivirus solutions has increased by 30%, from 43% last year to 73.3% in 2021. However, companies are just discovering that stand-alone antivirus solutions no longer work against modern threats: we found the request for an integrated emergency backup / recovery. with antivirus solutions more than double – from 19% in 2020 to 47.9% this year.
- The demand for vulnerability assessment and patch management has increased dramatically: from 26% in 2020 to 45% this year. This can be attributed, in part, to the increased volume of vulnerabilities exposed this year in critical and internal software deployments such as Microsoft Exchange servers, Chrome browsers or Apache web servers.
- Unsurprisingly, the demand for better and more secure remote monitoring and management tools has tripled: 35.7% this year, compared to 10% in 2020. Remote working is now recognized as a working format. By default in the long run, it’s more important than ever for IT managers to be able to monitor and manage a wide range of remote devices.
In last year’s Acronis Cyber Readiness Report 2020, we saw an increase in the adoption of new services – especially SaaS and Cloud Computing services – and this year companies continue to adopt new ones. solutions. However, this has increased the overall complexity of IT environments, which will most likely lead to additional breaches and unplanned downtime in the future.
“The cybercrime industry has proven to be a well-oiled machine this year – relying on proven attack techniques, such as phishing, malware, DDoS attacks and others. Threat actors are increasingly expanding their targets, while organizations are held back by the increasing complexity of IT infrastructure. “says Candid Wuest, Acronis vice president of cyber protection research.” Only a small number of companies have taken the time to modernize their IT stack with integrated data protection and cybersecurity. Threats will continue to grow, and automation is the only path to increased security, lower costs, improved efficiency and reduced risk.
Teleworkers are the most attractive targets
These results from Acronis and external research clearly illustrate why organizations need a cyber protection solution that reduces complexity and improves security to support remote working environments, and why it must be cost effective in order to cope with the growing scale of the remote workforce.
- One in four remote employees said the lack of IT support was one of the biggest challenges they faced this year. The top three technological challenges identified by remote workers around the world: Wi-Fi connectivity, use of a VPN and other security measures, lack of IT support.
- One in four remote employees do not use multifactor authentication, making them easy targets for phishing, with phishing being the most common type of attack in 2021.
- On average, one in five remote employees are highly targeted by phishing attacks, receiving well over 20 phishing emails per month – with 71% of respondents confirming they are targeted each month. Learning to identify such attacks through cybersecurity awareness training is essential to protect organizations, as well as personal assets.
- We’ve seen attackers aggressively expanding their target pool – it’s no longer just workloads based on the Microsoft Windows operating system – where users have also reported a spike in attacks against Linux devices, MacOS, Android and iOS. Attackers are also more likely to attack virtualized environments.
Unfortunately, cybercriminals no longer need to be tech-savvy to create havoc – take malware, for example. Cybercriminal gangs have further expanded their malware-as-a-service model, which provides step-by-step guides on how to take advantage of compromising targets.
Yet despite the growing dangers to employees, remote working is here to stay; people will continue to work and hire remotely, and that’s the reality most IT teams still need to prepare for: finding a solution to hardware shortages, increased complexity, increased need for IT support, and to better cybersecurity solutions. This is an existential crisis that businesses need to prepare for now – the potential costs of not doing so are just too high.
Global and regional reports are available for download via the Acronis blog. For more information on the findings or trends presented in the report, contact us by email at: [email protected].
Platform with more in-depth industry information
Remote work is here to stay, as are increasingly sophisticated cyber attacks. It is therefore up to both the organization and the individual to follow the best cyber protection practices available.
If you want to learn more about cybersecurity issues and solutions available to businesses, don’t miss the opportunity to register for the Acronis #CyberFit Summit World Tour 2021, which will start in Miami, Florida to 25 october with a hybrid format, including in person and virtual. Register now for:
- Attend free results-driven virtual sessions and listen to world-class experts explain strategies and deployment options for cyber protection
- Enhance the cyber protection capabilities of your MSP business with guidance from top IT channel, cybersecurity and industry experts
- Hear exclusive case studies of successful, profitable and scalable MSPs and MSSPs
- Learn how to grow your business with cybersecurity services
- Take part in practical and interactive workshops; insightful panels and escapes; and inspiring speeches – while taking advantage of numerous IT channel networking opportunities.
Acronis unifies data protection and cybersecurity to deliver integrated and automated cyber protection that solves the security, accessibility, privacy, authenticity and security (SAPAS) challenges of the modern digital world. With flexible deployment models that meet the demands of service providers and IT professionals, Acronis delivers superior cyber protection for data, applications, and systems with innovative anti-virus, backup, and recovery management solutions. AI-powered disaster and endpoint protection. With advanced anti-malware powered by cutting-edge machine intelligence and blockchain-based data authentication technologies, Acronis protects any environment – from cloud to hybrid to on-premises – at a low cost. and predictable.
Founded in Singapore in 2003 and incorporated into Switzerland in 2008, Acronis now has more than 1,700 employees at 34 sites in 19 countries. Its solutions are trusted by more than 5.5 million home users and 500,000 businesses, as well as leading professional sports teams. Acronis products are available from more than 50,000 partners and service providers in more than 150 countries and 25 languages.
SOURCE Acronis, Inc.