Firefly is working on a Rockchip RK3588 Mini-ITX (ITX3588J) motherboard
After Radxa ROCK5 Pico-ITX SBC and Banana Pi RK3588 SoM and devkit, the Firefly ITX3588J mini-ITX motherboard is the third hardware platform we’ve seen with the Rockchip RK3588 octa-core Cortex-A76/A55 processor.
The board will be interesting for people wanting a PC or Arm workstation as the mini-ITX form factor will allow the board to be installed in a standard case, and there are plenty of resources and I/O with up to 32GB of RAM, four SATA ports, multiple 8K/4K video outputs and inputs, dual Gigabit Ethernet, WiFI 6 and Bluetooth 5.0, one PCIe 3.0 x4 slot, and more.
Specifications of the Firefly ITX3588J mini-ITX motherboard:
- SoC – Octa-core Rockchip RK3588 processor with four 2.4 GHz Arm Cortex-A76 cores, four Arm Cortex-A55 cores, ArmMali-G610 MP4 quad-core GPU with support for OpenGL ES3.2, OpenCL 2.2, Vulkan1. 1 , 6 TOPS NPU, 48MP ISP, 8Kp60 video decoding, 8Kp30 video encoding
- System Memory – 4GB, 8GB, 16GB, or 32GB LPDDR4/LPDDR4x/LPDDR5 memory
- Storage room
- 16GB, 32GB, 64GB or 128GB eMMC flash
- 1x M.2 SATA 3.0 for 2242 SSD
- 4 SATA3.0 ports
- Video I/F
- HDMI 2.1 up to 8Kp60 or 4Kp120
- HDMI 2.0 up to 4Kp60
- 2x MIPI-DSI up to 4Kp60fps
- DP 1.4 up to 8Kp30 (multiplexed with USB3.0)
- VGA port
- 1x HDMI-IN up to 4Kp60 with HDCP 2.3 support
- 2 x 2-lane MIPI-CSI inputs or 1 x 4-lane MIPI-CSI input for camera
- Multi-channel 8K video output and 4K video input, output up to four displays
- 1x speaker output (Class D 10W-8Ω)
- 1x line out
- Digital audio output via HDMI and DP ports
- 1x line in, 1x MIC in, 1x HDMI in
- Two RJ45 Gigabit Ethernet ports, one with PoE support up to 60W
- WiFi 6 Dual Band 2.4GHz/5GHz, Bluetooth 5.0
- Optional 5G/4G LTE modem via M.2 socket
- USB – 4 USB 3.0 ports (1A per port), 1 USB 3.0 Type-C port with DisplayPort Alt. (up to 2 A), 4 USB 2.0 interfaces of which three via headers (up to 500 mA per port)
- Serial – 1x RS485, 1x RS232
- 1x PCIe 3.0 x8 slot (with PCIe x4 interface)
- 8x GPIO, 4x I2C, 1x SPI, 3xADC
- Debugging – Debug interface
- Miscellaneous – 12V fan header, 12V heater header?
- Power source
- DC 12V~24V wide voltage input via DC jack (5.5×2.1mm)
- 12V input via standard 8-pin ATX power interface
- 48V PoE up to 60W
- Energy consumption
- Standby – ~1.35W (12V/110mA)
- Typical – ~4.8W (12V/400mA)
- Max – ~20W (12V/1700mA)
- Dimensions – 17 x 17 cm (Mini-ITX form factor); holes for 45mm radiator
- Temperature Range – Operation: -20°C to 60°C; storage:-20°C-70°C
- Humidity – 10% – 80%
The company will provide Android 12.0, Ubuntu Desktop, Ubuntu Server, Debian 11, Buildroot, RTLinux, Kylin Linux, and UOS for the board. The large number of supported Linux distributions is certainly helped by the UEFI bootloader provided for the card. Note that the CPU, memory and flash storage are all on a system-on-module, so it should be easy to upgrade/downgrade the module’s memory/storage as needed.
The company was also one of the first to launch a Rockchip RK3399 board in 2016 with the Firefly-RK3399 SBC, and compared to the previous platform, the Rockchip RK3588 processor is said to be up to four times faster, while the GPU performs up to 8 times better, and the AI performance delta should even be higher since the RK3588 comes with a 6 TOPS NPU. That’s roughly what we reported with early RK3588 benchmarks, though Firefly rounded the number, and graphics performance varies a lot depending on workload.
The Firefly ITX3588J mini-ITX motherboard is still in the works, and we don’t have information on availability and pricing. That said, we were told that the CPU and PMIC combo retails for $60, so such hardware will likely cost between $200 and $300 depending on the options. More details can be found on the product sheet.
Jean-Luc started CNX Software in 2010 on a part-time basis, before stepping down as Director of Software Engineering and starting writing daily news and reviews full-time later in 2011.