Fix Microsoft Edge shows blank white screen on Windows computer
Yes Microsoft Edge shows blank white screen when you launch it, the solutions provided in this article may help you fix the problem. Users who have encountered this issue have reported that Edge displays a blank white or black screen for a while when they launch it. The problem appears every time they open the Microsoft Edge web browser. Some of them tried clearing the Edge cache, but that didn’t help.
Fix Microsoft Edge shows blank white screen
Here’s what to do if Microsoft Edge shows a blank white screen or black screen after launching.
- Disable hardware acceleration
- Scan your PC with good antivirus and antimalware software
- Update graphics driver
- Reset or repair Microsoft Edge
- Create a new user account.
Let’s see all these solutions in detail.
1]Disable hardware acceleration
The most common cause of this problem is hardware acceleration in Edge. If you have enabled this feature, disable it and then see if that fixes the problem. Since Edge shows a blank white or black screen, you have to wait for some time until its interface becomes visible or you can try the following methods to make Edge interface visible.
- hurry Win + R keys. This will launch the Course control box.
taskmgrand click OK.
- When the task manager appears on your screen, select the Process and double-click the Edge browser to expand it.
- Now right click on one of the subtasks and select Final task.
- After that, end another Edge subtask and repeat this process until its interface becomes visible. When its interface becomes visible, you can easily disable hardware acceleration.
If the above method does not work, follow the process written below until the Edge interface becomes visible.
Close Microsoft Edge and end all Edge processes in Task Manager. Now right click on Edge desktop shortcut and select Properties.
In the Microsoft Edge Properties window, select the Shortcut tongue. There you will see the following path in the Target.
"C:Program Files (x86)MicrosoftEdgeApplicationmsedge.exe"
Replace the above path with the following:
"C:Program Files (x86)MicrosoftEdgeApplicationmsedge.exe" -disable-gpu
Now click To apply so what Okay. Launch Microsoft Edge. It should not display the blank white or black screen. Now you can disable hardware acceleration in Edge.
The steps to disable hardware acceleration in Edge are as follows:
- Launch Microsoft Edge.
- Click on the three horizontal dots at the top right and select Settings.
- To select System and performance on the left side.
- Turn off the switch next to Use hardware acceleration if available option.
- Click on the Restart button to relaunch Edge.
The above steps will disable hardware acceleration in Edge. The issue should be resolved now. Otherwise, try the next solution.
2]Scan your PC with good antimalware software
Scan your system using Windows Defender or any other good antivirus and antimalware software. This will let you know if your system is infected with a virus or malware. Microsoft Safety Scanner is a free virus and malware removal tool. You can also use it. You can also use AdwCleaner freeware to scan your system.
3]Update graphics driver
Update your graphics driver and see if that helps. If you recently updated your display driver and this problem started, you might want to roll back the display driver to its earlier version.
4]Reset or Repair Microsoft Edge
Windows 10 settings. First, you need to repair Edge. If that doesn’t fix the problem, reset it.If Edge has graphics issues and other issues, resetting or repairing it might fix the problem. Microsoft Edge reset and repair options are available in
In Windows 11 settings, you will not find an option to reset Microsoft Edge. Therefore, you need to fix it. The steps below will help you repair or reset Edge in Windows 11:
- Open Windows 11 Settings.
- Go to “Apps > Apps and features.”
- Click on three vertical dots next to Microsoft Edge and select To modify.
- Now click repair.
5]Create a new user account
If after resetting or repairing Microsoft Edge the problem persists, some user account files may have been corrupted. In this case, creating a new local administrator user account may resolve the issue. If Edge does not show a blank white or black screen in the new user account, you can transfer all your user data from the old profile to the new one.
To transfer your user data from your old user profile to the new user profile, follow these steps:
- Open File Explorer.
- Open your C drive, then open the Users case. There you will see all your user profile folders.
- Now open the old user profile folder and copy all the contents inside it.
- After that, open the new user profile folder and paste the copied data there.
Read: Fixed Unable to connect securely to this page error on Microsoft Edge.
How to Fix Edge Black Screen?
If you see the black screen in Edge after launching it, it might be due to the hardware acceleration feature. If the feature is enabled in Edge, disabling it will fix the issue. Wait for a moment until the Edge interface appears. Once the Edge interface becomes visible, you can disable hardware acceleration. If that doesn’t fix your problem, repair or reset Microsoft Edge.
How to Reset Microsoft Edge?
You can reset Microsoft Edge from Windows 10 Settings. The steps for the same are as follows:
- Launch the Windows 10 Settings app.
- Go to “Apps > Apps and Features.”
- Select Microsoft Edge and click Advanced options.
- Now click on the Reset button.
In Windows 11, an option to reset Edge is not available in Settings. Therefore, you can repair Edge or reset Microsoft Edge settings to default.
Read more: How to Fix Microsoft Edge Critical Error.