Fix Server Execution Failed Error in WSL
You can meet the Server execution failed error in WSL on one or more instances of your Windows 11 or Windows 10 system; including when trying to run a Linux distribution, when trying to run a bash command in that environment, or when trying to update/install WSL or upgrade WSL 1 to WSL 2. This post provides the most appropriate fixes to this error in any case. Keep in mind that resolving the error may depend on your environment scenario.
Fix Server Execution Failed Error in WSL
If the A server runtime failure error occurred in the WSL environment on your Windows 11/10 computer, you can try our recommended solutions below in no particular order and see if that helps fix the problem.
- Initial checklist
- Disable and re-enable WSL
- Disable virtual machine platform
- Reset Windows 11/10
Let’s take a look at the description of the process involved regarding each of the listed solutions.
Before trying the solutions below, you can do the following and after each task see if you can successfully complete the initial task that was throwing the highlighted error:
- Restart the LxssManager service. LxssManager is a user-mode session management service that launches a new instance of WSL running native ELF binaries. If this service is stopped or disabled, these binaries will no longer work. To restart the LxssManager service, follow the instructions in the message WslRegisterDistribution failed with error: 0x800700b7 or 0x80080005.
- Restart the computer. If the restart of the LxssManager service is stuck on the “Stop” phase or if the action is completed but the problem persists, you can simply restart the system completely.
- Windows Update. If Windows is not updated on your system, it is likely that some functions or features will not work properly. So check for updates and install all available bits on your Windows 11/10 device and see if the error reappears. On the other hand, if the error started after a recent Windows update, you can perform a system restore or uninstall the update – but if you prefer to do either task as a last resort , then you can proceed with the solutions below.
2]Disable and re-enable WSL
If you have met the Server execution failed error in WSL on your Windows 11/10 computer, you can resolve the WSL error by disabling and re-enabling Windows Subsystem for Linux on your device.
To disable and re-enable WSL, simply enable/disable the feature in the Windows Optional Features applet in Control Panel or run a PowerShell cmdlet.
To enable the Windows Subsystem for Linux feature using the Enable or disable Windows features dialog box, you need to search Enable or disable Windows features in the Windows search box.
In the populated list, check the option to Windows Subsystem for Linux. To select OKAY. It will search and install some required system files and ask you to restart your computer. After restarting your computer, your Linux distribution will work without any problems.
You can also open Windows PowerShell with administrator-level rights. Run the following command to enable the Windows Subsystem for Linux feature:
Enable-WindowsOptionalFeature -Online -FeatureName Microsoft-Windows-Subsystem-Linux
It will start searching and installing some required system files.
When prompted, you must type Yes for to restart your computer.
It will install all required system files and your Linux distribution will generally work now.
Make sure to restart PC after deactivation and restart again after activation.
However, this solution may not be ideal if the error is triggering multiple times, as some affected PC users have reported. In this case, you can try any other solution in this post.
3]Disable virtual machine platform
This solution requires you to disable the virtual machine platform – not just disable Hyper-V on your Windows 11/10 machine. To perform this task, follow these steps:
- Hurry Windows key + X to open the Power User menu.
- Faucet A on the keyboard to launch PowerShell in admin/elevated mode.
- In the PowerShell console, copy and paste the command below and press Enter:
$ dism.exe /online /disable-feature /featurename:VirtualMachinePlatform /norestart $ dism.exe /online /disable-feature /featurename:Microsoft-Hyper-V /norestart
- Exit PowerShell after the command runs.
- Restart the computer.
4]Reset Windows 11/10
If nothing has worked so far, at this point you may be dealing with severe system corruption that cannot be fixed by conventional methods, for example; SFC/DISM scan. In this case, to see if the problem will be fixed, you can reset Windows 11/10 with the option to keep your personal files. After the reset, you can configure WSL again on your device.
In the unlikely event that the issue in question persists after the reset procedure, you can file an issue on GitHub.com for WSL-related issues.
I hope this post helps you!
Similar item: Failed to run Windows Backup Server (0x80080005)
Why does server execution keep failing?
The Windows Media Player server runtime failed error can be caused by damage to Windows system files. This error can also occur if for some reason the Windows Media Player network service is stopped or if there is a problem with your user account.
Why is my WSL not working?
If WSL is not working on your Windows 11/10 PC, it could be due to a number of reasons, including an outdated operating system or corrupt system files. So usually you can update your Windows version. If the problem persists and you need to access WSL, consider performing an in-place upgrade by reinstalling Windows using the installation media and selecting keep all to make sure your apps and files are safe.
Related: Failed to execute Server Explorer.exe
Is WSL faster than a VM?
It is also much faster to launch the WSL terminal than to start a full virtual machine. WSL also integrates much more completely into Windows than a regular VM into VirtualBox. Although there are ways to integrate your Windows desktop and a Linux virtual machine into VirtualBox, it can take a while to get it working properly. WSL 2 runs as a Hyper-V virtual machine.