How to Download and Install Kodi on Linux 2022 Tip
This tutorial explains how to download and install Kodi on Linux. We will do our best for you to understand this guide. I hope you will like this blog, How to Download and Install Kodi on Linux. If your answer is yes, please share after reading this.
Check How to Download and Install Kodi on Linux
One of the amazing things about Kodi is that it offers a native application for different versions of Linux. This means that Linux users have another powerful tool in their arsenal for storing and playing media files. The only question is: how to install Kodi on Linux? However, before you even install Kodi on your Linux computer, consider which version of the app you want to install. You can count on running Kodi if your computer has a GPU unit manufactured within the last decade. Due to the large number of distributions Kodi can be installed on, we have limited this installation guide to Ubuntu and Ubuntu-based distributions, as well as Arch distributions.
This includes graphics cards from AMD/ATI, Nvidia and Intel. The basic requirement is that your GPU supports OpenGL 2.0 or higher. However, it is recommended to have a newer GPU if you want to play Full HD movies or 4K video files. Kodi, formerly called XBMC (Xbox Media Center), is an open source home media center. Although Kodi has no content of its own, it has a highly customizable interface, from themes to plugins and add-ons, and an active developer community.
Install Kodi on Ubuntu Linux Based Distributions
If you have Ubuntu, Linux Mint, or other Ubuntu-based distributions, there are two ways to install Kodi: the standard method from precompiled binaries or by compiling from source code. You can take a look at these two methods in order.
Use the command line terminal and enter the following commands, just be sure to follow their prompts.
- Enter the following command:
- sudo apt-get install software-properties-common
- The next command you enter is based on the Kodi repository you want to add. Three versions are available: the final version, the beta version and the nightly versions. Enter the one you want to install.
- Final release: sudo add-apt-repository ppa:team-xbmc/ppa
- Development build: sudo add-apt-repository ppa:team-xbmc/unstable
- Nightly builds: sudo add-apt-repository ppa:team-xbmc/xbmc-nightly
- Go in:
- Enter the following command:
- sudo apt-get install kodi
- Wait a few minutes for the Kodi installation to complete. After installation, launch Kodi.
How to compile and install Kodi from source code?
- First, install Git to download Kodi. For a stable branch, type the following in the terminal:
- Get the Kodi source code now. For the stable branch, you must explicitly name the version of Kodi you need. In this case, you will need Krypton:
- git clone -b Krypton git://github.com/xbmc/xbmc.git
- Next, go to Software & Updates in your Settings and verify that Source Code is selected.
- Install the required packages and dependencies by entering the following:
- sudo apt-get update
- sudo apt-get build-dep kodi
- Configure your Kodi by typing:
- Build your Kodi by typing:
- With everything compiled and built, you can now install Kodi:
- install or sudo install
- Once Kodi is installed, you can launch Kodi in your terminal or from your search bar.
Final Words: How to Download and Install Kodi on Linux
Hope you understand this article, How to Download and Install Kodi on Linux. If your answer is no, you can ask anything through the contact forum section linked to this article. And if your answer is yes, share this article with your friends and family to show your support.